In Sanskrit, Yoni is known as sacred temple or pathway, a place to access our wisdom, and our power.
Yoni steaming is an opportunity to reconnect with your body. Making time and space in our lives for yoni steams can be utilized as a way to restore balance and clear away stagnation.
The vaginal steam dates back thousands of years and is seen in almost every indigenous culture. African, Mayan, Greek, Native American, Cook Islands, Filipino, Japanese, and many other Asian countries have described the practice as Yoni Steam, V-Steams, Vaginal Steaming, Chai-yok, or Bajos. These cultures have used the practice of Yoni steaming as a routine ritual to honor and connect with sacred female intuitive energy.
According to Chinese medicine, all of the organs have emotional and energetic qualities. Likewise, yoni steaming allows the woman to reconnect with her body in a positive loving way which helps to clear blocked energy.
How does it work
A yoni steam works by using gentle steam to carry the medicinal properties of the organic herbs to the exterior tissues of the vagina, the vulva. The warmth and moisture increases circulation to the vulva, causing it to open up and expose the inner labial mucous membranes. These tissues are very porous and absorbent, allowing the herbs to infuse their benefits. The result is a healthier, more relaxed and balanced connection to yourself.
This practice is about women being responsible for our own personal health and wombs by utilizing our intuition as well as herbs from the Earth, to support and nourish our overall well-being. This is also about trusting the wisdom of generations of ancestors that have come before us.
Throughout the centuries yoni steam as been known to help in these ways:
- Reduction in pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation
- Reduction of heavy menstrual flow
- May help to Regulate an absent menstrual cycles
- More rapid healing and a toning of the outer reproductive system after giving birth
- Promotes healing of vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar
- Helps to restore bacterial and ph balance to aid in prevention of infections, bacterial vaginosis and odors
- Relief for symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain
- Can tighten the vaginal canal
- Aids in detoxification of the vaginal tissue and body
Emotional & spiritual benefits
- Allows modern day women the opportunity to reconnect to the ancestral wisdom of the womb
- Release of stored emotions & anxiety
- Access to the divinity of feminine energy that elevates and aligns us with creative potential
- Relieves tension and creates a state of bliss
- Helps with insomnia
- Can help aid in healing from sexual trauma
- do not steam if you are menstruating
- do not steam if you are pregnant
- do not steam if you have an infection or open wounds
- do not steam if you have an IUD
- do remove vagina piercings, as they may heat up and become uncomfortable
*Be sure to exercise caution and do not burn yourself! This should be a pleasant experience, not a painful one.
Setting Sacred Space
It may be helpful to treat yoni steaming as a sacred practice. Here are a few things that you can do to set the right vibe.
- Make sure you can have at least 45 mins of uninterrupted alone time
- Straighten up the room where you plan on steaming. Make it nice for yourself. Maybe burn incense. Light a candle. Set up some mood music or mantras.
- Brew up an herbal infusion or cup of tea to drink while you are steaming
- Turn off your phone
- Grab a book to read, or a journal and pencil to jot down any thoughts or inspirations that come up during your steam
- Use it for mediation time – breathe deep and let the thoughts just flow through your mind
*bonus tip: make a cleansing or nourishing mask for your face to apply while yoni steaming. Double the self care experience
- In a medium covered pot, pour 4 cups of water (preferably purified water)
- Bring water to a rolling boil
- Place one handful of fresh herb(s) or 1/4 cup dried into the water. Turn the heat off and cover herbs with pot lid
- Steep for 5-8 minutes with the lid on
- Remove the pot from the stove and place it in its steam location position. Alternatively you could remove half the herbal water and repeat the process once the first batch has cooled
- Wave your hand 8-10 inches over the herbal water to make sure it is not too hot.
- Remove your underwear and sit on the seat above the steaming water.
- Drape a large blanket or sheet around your waist down to the floor making sure no steam escapes.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes.
*Make sure you keep yourself warm, keeping something on your feet (socks, slippers) and neck.
*Do not add or use “essential oils” as they are too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
*It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using. If it is too hot wait 15 seconds and test it again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with.